Saturday, August 23, 2014

Orientation at Universidad Internacional!

It's official! I got the house keys and my university ID!
I woke up and was very excited/anxious because we were going to our orientation at Universidad Internacional (a.k.a. UNINTER) I had the best breakfast yet (each day gets better I swear...) A banana topped with peach yogurt and granola, green tea and a quesadilla with ham and cheese. Now you're probably thinking, why is that so good? For one, the fruit here rocks. Two, the green tea was the best green tea I've ever had and she served it with real unrefined sugar. Three, the quesadillas here are amazing. The tortillas are like pillows and the different types of Mexican cheeses here are so melty and soft that they make this Wisconsin cheesehead swoon.

I took a taxi to the university where we were going to meet Francisco, our liason with the university as well as take a Spanish proficiency/placement test for our two weeks of classes. We took a test on the computer with all of the different types of verb tenses (subjunctive...eeek! It's been a while...) We then watched a video about the university and learned about all of the services we have available to us as students. (i.e. excursions and extracurricular classes like cooking or salsa dancing!) We then had our interview test with a professor. I got called first- ahh! I was a tad nervous but quickly realized that it didn't really matter and we are here to learn! He was super nice and asked me a bunch of questions in order to gauge my Spanish skills. My favorite questions were 1) "What would you suggest I do if I traveled to Green Bay?" I told him he needed to try fried cheese and a Wisconsin beer...(cough Esser's Best cough) 2) "What would you do if you were governor of Wisconsin?" I started giggling....I tried explaining that that was an interesting question because not a lot of people like our current governor and we might be getting our first female governor! I sure appreciated all of the Wisconsin questions! 

The university is beautiful! I didn't have time to take pictures today so I will after my classes on Monday!

I came home and took a very much appreciated siesta (nap). I am really loving this daily schedule! Afterwards I decided I wanted to take a little trip to the Walmart by myself! I took a taxi from my house to the Walmart and it costs about 30-35 pesos (Roughly $3.00, what a cheap cab ride!) I had a list of things that I wanted to buy but I also find it extremely interesting to peruse the aisles and read labels because it helps me learn vocab. I got my items (some examples: liquid anti-bacterial soap, house slippers, Mexican magazines, snacks, drinks, and a blow dryer). I ended up spending around two (!) hours in Walmart- hah! I also spent 20 minutes waiting in line to checkout because it was so busy! I stopped at the ATM to get more pesos and then I bought my first paleta! I chose "fresa con agua" and it was so delicious! 




I couldn't not buy them! 

¡Hasta manaña! 

Estefanía

No comments:

Post a Comment