Friday, August 22, 2014

First full day!

I slept like a baby in my new room! I woke up and my madre, Griselda, made me a delicious breakfast with eggs, green beans, ham and onions (like a scrambler.) So yummy and filling! It was a pretty relaxing day- still putting things away. Around 11, Griselda asked if I would want to accompany her and Kenia to a "tianguis" and I said yes even though I had no idea was a tianguis was. I come to find out it was a little outdoor market by our house. It was really cool. There were food vendors, vendors selling fruit, others selling clothes and "peliculas piratas" or pirated movies. They have so many movies!! They're obviously pirated and are not always the greatest quality but they are usually four for 50 pesos (so basically four dollars- talk about a deal!) 

I came back and went through my calendar and waited for almuerzo (lunch.) In Mexico they have a different meal routine. We wake up and have desayuno (breakfast) between 7:30-9:00am (depending on what's on the schedule for the day) then wait until 2 or 3pm for almuerzo (lunch), of which is typically the heaviest meal. Lastly, we have cena (dinner) between 7:00-9:00pm and is usually lighter (bread, soup etc...) Lunch today was awesome. It was soup with noodles and espinaca (spinach) and tostadas with veggies, ground beef, sour cream, cheese and salsa verde. It was amazing! (I wish I could take pictures of every meal! I might have to start doing that!)

At 5:30, our in-country supervisor, Brienne, picked us up from our houses so we could have our first meeting! I was so excited to finally meet Brienne. Brienne is from Wisconsin and used to teach in Wisconsin. She moved to Cuernavaca a little over ten years ago after spending summers here. She fell in love with her now husband and they have four beautiful girls! It was so nice to finally meet them. It is also so comforting to know that she is here for us! Brienne took us to a panificadora/pasteleria (bakery) where they had hundreds of types of bread, donuts, cakes and cookies. The smell was so enticing and absolutely sweet! You grab a tray and a pair of tongs and go up and down the aisles picking out your yummy treats!






Los hombres jengibres dressed & ready for Mexican Independence Day (September 16)


Do you see the rat shaped chocolate cake? 

We went to Brienne's house which was beautiful. We had a little meeting and talked about what is to come on this amazing Mexican adventure over our pan (bread) and Mexican hot chocolate (like regular hot chocolate but with a hint of cinnamon.) We took a taxi home and I was ready for bed! 

Besos,

Estefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment